The future of gaming has never been more inspiring. Creativity in games is flourishing. New services empower you to discover more games—and bring you closer to the games and creators and streamers you love. The cloud creates a massive opportunity to stream console-quality games and play with the people you want, wherever you want. And for many of us, nothing is more inspiring than the dawn of a new console generation.
We know youexpect the next generation of consoles to set new standards in graphical powerand processing speed, converging together in games that look incredible and feelalive. This will be defined by worlds that are visually astounding andimmediately immersive, with innovative leaps in CPU, GPU and storage technologyto give you frictionless access to new stories and new creators constantly.
We’vebeen using Xbox Series X in our internal Takehome program and are energized bythe feedback we’ve been receiving. At Xbox we value being open and transparentwith you, and I’m proud to be able to share details about some of the technologieswe are enabling for the next generation, and look forward to boldly sharing moreas we head towards E3.
Asuperior balance of power and speed
Comparedto the previous generation, Xbox Series X represents a superior balance ofpower and speed in console design, advancing on all technological fronts to deliveringamazing, dynamic, living worlds and minimize any aspects that can take you outof the experience. Our job at Team Xbox is to give teams the tools they need toachieve their ambitions and tap into the console’s power with efficiency, a fewof which we’re detailing today. Raw power is just part of the story:
- Next Generation Custom Processor: Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One. Xbox Series X delivers a true generational leap in processing and graphics power with cutting edge techniques resulting in higher framerates, larger, more sophisticated game worlds, and an immersive experience unlike anything seen in console gaming.
- Variable Rate Shading (VRS): Our patented form of VRS empowers developers to more efficiently utilize the full power of the Xbox Series X. Rather than spending GPU cycles uniformly to every single pixel on the screen, they can prioritize individual effects on specific game characters or important environmental objects. This technique results in more stable frame rates and higher resolution, with no impact on the final image quality.
- Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing: You can expect more dynamic and realistic environments powered by hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing – a first for console gaming. This means true-to-life lighting, accurate reflections and realistic acoustics in real time as you explore the game world.
Immersionin an instant
The nextconsole generation will be defined by more playing and less waiting. And whenplay begins, we know many gamers demand ultra-low latency to be as immersed andprecise as possible. To this end, the team analyzed every step between player andgame, from controller to console to display, and asked how we could make it faster.
- SSD Storage: With our next-generation SSD, nearly every aspect of playing games is improved. Game worlds are larger, more dynamic and load in a flash and fast travel is just that – fast.
- Quick Resume: The new Quick Resume feature lets you continue multiple games from a suspended state almost instantly, returning you to where you were and what you were doing, without waiting through long loading screens.
- Dynamic Latency Input (DLI): We’re optimizing latency in the player-to-console pipeline starting with our Xbox Wireless Controller, which leverages our high bandwidth, proprietary wireless communication protocol when connected to the console. With Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), a new feature which synchronizes input immediately with what is displayed, controls are even more precise and responsive.
- HDMI 2.1 Innovation: We’ve partnered with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers to enable the best gaming experience through features such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). ALLM allows Xbox One and Xbox Series X to automatically set the connected display to its lowest latency mode. VRR synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the game’s frame rate, maintaining smooth visuals without tearing. Ensuring minimal lag and the most responsive gaming experience.
- 120 fps Support: With support for up to 120 fps, Xbox Series X allows developers to exceed standard 60 fps output in favor of heightened realism or fast-paced action.
The nextgeneration of game compatibility
Thebenefits of the next console generation extend in every direction, bringinggreater visual fidelity and improved loading speeds to your existing gaminglegacy, in addition to new games. We’re continuing our commitment to compatibilitywith Xbox Series X and investing in technology that makes game ownership easieracross generations.
- Fourgenerations of gaming:Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, includingbackward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better thanever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefitfrom steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visualfidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gamingaccessories also come forward with you.
- Smart Delivery: Thistechnology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you areplaying it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version ofthat game on whatever Xbox you’re playingon. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive XboxGame Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have topurchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whicheverXbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for alldevelopers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will berelease on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.
- XboxGame Pass: Inaddition to games from across four generations of consoles, our leading gamesubscription service, Xbox Game Pass, will continue to have our first partygames, like Halo Infinite, included at their launch. We look forward to millions of you experiencingthe Xbox Game Pass portfolio and immersing yourselves in a deep library ofhigh-quality games, playing those you love now and also discovering your nextgreat adventure.
Ageneration with players at the center
XboxSeries X is our fastest, most powerful console ever, designed for a consolegeneration that has you at its center. This means a high-fidelity gamingexperience enclosed in a quiet and bold design, with the ability to discoverthousands of games across four generations, all with more playing and lesswaiting.
Whetherit’s empowering amazing creators at our 15 Xbox Game Studios, fueling gamediscovery with Xbox Game Pass, or expanding what and where you can play withProject xCloud, Team Xbox stands for frictionless pathways between players andthe best experiences our remarkable art form has to offer. Xbox Series Xrepresents that same commitment for players who want immediate immersion ingames that also look and feel better than ever.
We can’twait to share more details about the new Xbox with you in the coming months.